Dolores Daiquiri!

My photo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I am madly in love with anything vintage and have been for over 20 years or so now. The appeal for me with the 1940s and 1950s started when I was a teenager because I just didn't find the modern lifestyle appealing or romantic. So from about the age of seventeen I was hooked on the clothing, the furniture and the music. I can't get enough and enjoy being around others who love it as much as me. What a way to live! I wouldn't ask for it any other way. Now I can write a blog about my lifestyle and the things I enjoy and feel passionate about.

'The Girl Can't Help It' - Posts

Dolores Daiquiri!

Dolores Daiquiri!

Fabulous Followers

Welcome from 'The Girl Can't Help It'

I would love for you to join my blog and leave comments if so desired.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

28 December 2009

Could The 'Real Housewife' Stand Up!!

  Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
I had a family friend over last night who stated to me in a conversation that she is a 'real housewife', whatever that means! I was initially quite annoyed by this comment because what she was inferring was that when it came to playing the housewife I was a poor second? My friend whom I might add is about 15 years older than me seems to have this idea that I 'kind-of' fail in the wife department because I don't really do all the 'wifey' things she does routinely and regularly- like cook dinner every night, make packed lunches, have a perfectly clean house etc. I think she believes that my poor husband is a little neglected at times because I don't stack up and do everything as well as she does.

Obviously we are two worlds apart when it comes to what being a wife actually means!!! So I ask the question what does it mean to be the so-called perfect domestic wifey??? It does seem that when you look at my blog page that I really love the 40s & 50s which is true but only aesthetically, not traditionally. I would never want to be a slave to homeduties. For the most part I do actually do all the cleaning, cooking and houseduties in general and have a lovely clean home. This is mainly because I feel that if its done my way I get it done quicker and how I like it, plus my hubby is not so good at these things!!! I also secretly enjoy housework and do love to have a neat, fresh house!! But that doesn't mean it should be my role as a dutiful wife to do everything domestic and I shouldn't be made to feel guilty.

In summary I would like to think that most women of today do not aspire to be the perfect housewife but aspire to be great at more substantial things. Don't get me wrong I love a home I can be proud of but that is different than striving to be a perfect domestic wife. However if that's your 'thang' then fine but I have other more important things to do and being the perfect domestic wife ain't one of them!!!! xxxx












No comments:

Post a Comment